A Brief History Of The Regina Monastery
On June 5th, 1925, ten Sisters from the Toronto Monastery were sent to open a Monastery in Edmonton, Alberta. It is from the Edmonton Monastery the seven Sisters were chosen to form the Precious Blood Community in Regina. This, the twenty fifth monastery of the Institute, was officially opened on December 8th 1933.
The Sisters Adorers of the Precious Blood, at the invitation of His Grace, the Most Reverend Archbishop McGuigan of Regina, opened their sanctuary of Prayer in the little monastery formerly occupied by the Redemptorist Fathers at 2161 Cameron St.,under the name of Regina Coeli.
By the year 1948, a larger residence was required as more young women joined the community: in October the move to 3238 Albert Street was made. Located only a few blocks from Campion College, the Jesuit Fathers now graciously served as Chaplains.
In February 1961, the growing community moved to the new spacious monastery at 2200 -25th Avenue. Then in February 1961, the Sisters of the Regina community joined the English-speaking Congregation with the Motherhouse in London, Ontario.
In 1985, due to the decline of vocations during this era, a smaller monastery was erected on property just behind the 25th Avenue monastery.